Currently Indigenous Services Canada has limited the number of laminated status cards Oneida Nation of the Thames receives.

Therefore, its recommend by INAC that if your status card is expiring within six months to a year you should apply for the SCIS card.

Indigenous Services Canada (INAC) has also amended the identification that is required to obtain a SCIS card.


Þ One(1) acceptable government issued ID (excluding status cards).

Þ No birth certificate is required for an Adult

Þ Guarantors form is needed for both Adult and Child application

Þ Copy of your marriage certificate

Þ Original or copy of long form birth certificate is required with your child’s application


Þ Driver’s License (enhanced or regular)

Þ Provincial Identification Card

Þ Passport or Nexus

Þ Photo Health Card

You must supply two (2) passport pictures when applying.

The wait time for cards has been reduced from 4 months to 7 to 8 weeks.  If your card expires within this year, you can contact the Membership Department at Oneida Nation of the Thames to help you fill out the forms .

You can also contact Ontario Regional Office, Indigenous Services Canada in Toronto or Ontario District office in Brantford.


You can print an application for the SCIS (Secure Certificate of Indian Status from https:\\


Membership as of SEPTEMBER 2019:

Current Oneida Nation of the Thames membership living on Territory: 2,172
Current Oneida Nation of the Thames membership living off Territory: 4,045
Current Oneida Nation of the Thames membership living other reserve: 53
Total Oneida Nation of the Thames membership on and off Territory:  6,270

Accuracy of Information

The Oneida Nation Membership office ensures that the Oneida Nation of the Thames membership list is accurate and up-to-date.

The office oversees the report of life events, which includes:

  • Births
  • Deaths
  • Marriages and Divorces

Certificate of Indian Status (CIS)

The Membership office issues Certificate of Indian Status cards.  If you have a lost card or require a new or updated card, please contact the office to make an appointment to renew or replace your CIS Card.   You MUST have 2 pieces of ID in order to get a CIS Card. Children 15 years of age and under or dependent adults will need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

IMPORTANT:  Those that have a SCIS (black and white card) cannot revert back to a CIS card (pink card). Contact INAC Toronto Regional Office if you have questions, at: (416) 973-7517

Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)

The SCIS is intended to have the following added benefits:

  • Regular SCIS – Enables you to obtain services and benefits conferred exclusively to registered Indians (e.g. Health benefits)
  • Border-crossing SCIS – Used to obtain services and benefits conferred exclusively to registered Indians AND can be used as a border crossing document for entry into the United States by land and water ports-of-entry.
  • INAC Secure Certificate of Indian Status can now be renewed via mail. The INAC forms are available online.

Registering a New Birth

The Membership office performs registrations of new births. To register, please contact the department to make an appointment:

  • Original statement of live birth
  • Original long form birth certificate.

Lost your ID? You can get a Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document until you can replace your status card. If you do not have the mandatory ID to obtain a Status card please call (800) 567-9604

  • Advise the call centre representative that you want to obtain a Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document (TCRD).
  • They will ask you a series of questions to confirm your identity and then mail a Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document (TCRD) to you.
  • ** This document will state your registration number and can be used in place of a Status card to access benefits and services.**

Gas Tax Exemption Certificates (Gas Cards)

Did you know that as a First Nations individual you may not have to pay tax on gasoline?

In Ontario, there is a tax of 14.7 cents per litre on gasoline. First Nations individuals do not have to pay this tax if they buy gasoline:

  • For their own use,
  • From a ministry authorized gasoline retailer on a reserve and
  • Use their gas card.

Who can apply for the exemption?

  • First Nations individuals who have a Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card (status card) issued by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC).
  • First Nations bands are also eligible.

How do I apply?

To obtain a gas card, you will need to complete an Application for Certificate of Exemption for First Nations Individuals form. Alternatively, you may also mail or fax a written request to the address below, along with:

  1. Make a clear photocopy of your INAC status card.
    (Photocopy the front and the back of your card.)
  2. Print your name, full mailing address and telephone number on the photocopy.
  3. Give a reason why you are applying for a gas card. For example:
    1. first time applying,
    2. card was damaged,
    3. card was lost, or
    4. your name was changed on the band list.
  4. Sign your name at the bottom of the photocopy.
  5. When applying on behalf of a First Nations Band, please include the following information:
    1. Band Name
    2. List of eligible First Nations driver’s
    3. List of Band owned vehicle’s by make, model and license plate number

Mail your information to the address below:

Ministry of Finance
Motor Fuels and Tobacco Tax
33 King Street West
PO Box 625
Oshawa ON L1H 8H9

Or fax your information to (905) 433-5680.

For additional information please see the Ministry of Finance website

Oneida Membership

Oneida Nation of the Thames
Band Administration
2212 Elm Avenue
Southwold, Ontario
N0L 2G0
Tel:  (519) 652-3244
Fax: (519) 652-9287

Please Note: Status Cards are issued by Appointments Only, please contact Dawn Doxtater or Dee Chrisjohn.