Job Title: Primary Care Paramedic Salary: As per collective agreement
Job Opening ID: 2022-09-12-EX Positions: TBD
Location: 2089 Ballpark Rd Standard Hours: As per collective agreement
Regular/Temporary: Regular Full Time/Part-Time: Part-Time
Post Date: September 12, 2022 Close Date: Ongoing/Open Until Filled
Provide advanced emergency medical care and transportation for ill and injured patients to health care facilities by conducting patient assessments and evaluations, prioritizing, and providing patient care in accordance with basic and advanced life support program standards, guidelines, methods and techniques and Base Hospital protocols.
- Current qualifications as a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) as per the Ambulance Act of Ontario.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent approved by the Ministry of Education
- Paramedic Program Diploma/Certificate
- Certification by the SWORBHP in Advanced Care practice.
- Current certification in CPR (Basic Rescuer level).
- Valid and current Ontario Driver’s (Class F minimum) Licence sufficient to operate an Ambulance.
- Successful completion of BLS Standards Program.
- Free of communicable disease as per the Ambulance Service Communicable Disease Standards.
- Up-to-date immunizations as per Ambulance Act of Ontario.
- Successful completion of all Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) Core Mandatory Training to date.
- Vulnerable Sector Search required.
- Certification as a Primary Care Paramedic or Advanced Care Paramedic in accordance with the Ontario Provincial Symptom Relief and Cardiac Arrest Medical Directives
- Paramedic Diploma from a community college
- AEMCA Certification
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Superior computer skills required.
- Demonstrated leadership, initiative and innovation.
- Works well under pressure.
- Possess tact, discretion and sound judgement.
- Valid Ontario Class F Driver’s License.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a
- Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate inclusive of a Vulnerable Sector profile.
- Maintain PCP status as a condition of employment as it relates to ability to provide advanced training to paramedic staff.
- An annual influenza vaccination is recommended.
- Physical dexterity, coordination and strength, including fine and gross motor skills and a demonstrated ability to perform patient extrication, positioning, lifting and carrying techniques to rapidly access, treat, convey and manage patient conditions under frequently awkward, difficult and unpredictable environmental conditions.
- Work is performed independently within established work procedures, department procedures and safety procedures, as well as within service policies and procedures, Base Hospital protocols, Ministry of Health Basic Life Support Standards, the Ambulance Act, the Radio Act and the Mental Health Act.
- Written and verbal communication skills sufficient to perform documentation and related administration duties, as well as to relate to patients, families and other health care professionals in a calm and professional manner.
- Demonstrated skills in the areas of teamwork, problem solving and leadership sufficient to deal with crisis situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Provide and ensure the safe transport of patients and other passengers during the operation of emergency vehicles to the appropriate medical facility. This includes assisting with the transfer of patients onto the stretcher and into the ambulance, personal safety & security of all passengers/patients, activation of warning lights and siren/horn as warranted by traffic conditions and the patient’s condition.
- Provide patient care according to BLS patient care standards. This includes: examining and assessing the patient’s condition upon arrival, interpreting vital signs, medical and/or incident history, manual and/or semi-automatic cardiac monitor readings and other primary and/or secondary findings to determine the clinical significance of signs and symptoms, and identifying indications and contra-indications for basic life support procedures to formulate a working assessment for care and transport.
- Providing basic and advanced patient care and monitoring. This includes oxygen administration; stabilizing patient injuries; reducing and immobilizing fractures; performing cardiac monitoring, defibrillation cardiopulmonary resuscitation and pulse oximetry and administering symptom relief medication while on route to the medical facility.
Establishing the priority of patient treatment as part of the triage function in multiple casualty situations and calling for additional assistance as required.
Providing basic patient care and monitoring. This includes performing cardiac monitoring, defibrillation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation and airway management; symptom relief (i.e. administering symptom relief medications as well as a wide range of medications under well-defined circumstances such as subcutaneous epinephrine, inhaled bronchodilators, nitroglycerin, acetylsalicylic acids and glucagon); oxygen administration; stabilizing patient injuries; immobilizing fractures; sustaining patient care while on route to the medical facility.
Monitoring, observing and recording changes in the patient’s condition and reporting to the Ambulance Communications Centre by radio. Communicates to medical base Hospital physician when professional advice is required; this requires accurately describing the on-site situation to the physician in order to receive the appropriate direction.
Monitoring and responding to complications and/or critical variances in the patient’s condition.
Paramedics will transport patient(s) to the appropriate facility, as directed by the Ambulance Communications Centre. Advise the Ambulance Communications Service / CACC of their vehicle availability within the ambulance service while on duty. Paramedics will report each movement of an ambulance or emergency response vehicle immediately to the communication service (CACC). This includes notifying the CACC whenever a vehicle is removed from service or operation for a repair, maintenance and/or re-fueling.
- Responsible for the security of the vehicle and equipment throughout each shift as well as the security of patients’ valuables, patient records, and medications during patient transports.
- Upon arrival at the medical facility, transfer patients from the ambulance to the treatment centre and assists the nursing and hospital staff as requested with the transfer of patients from the stretcher to the table/cot/bed. Provide medical authorities with detailed information regarding the patients’ injuries or illness. This includes completing documentation and reporting using medical formats and appropriate terminology to provide physicians with a complete picture for pre-hospital/inter-hospital diagnosis and prescription of treatment or to substantiate the initiation of standardized protocols of care.
- Provide further emergency care, as necessary, under the direction and supervision of nursing and medical staff such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation and splinting. Complete all appropriate call documentation such as Ambulance Call Reports and Unusual Incident Reports. Prepare the ambulance for the next call. Submit all necessary reports, ensuring accuracy (i.e. incident, accident and injury reports).
- Employ light rescue techniques when required such as treating patients trapped inside of cars, positioning and securing patients in basket stretchers for rescue, opening doors or breaking windows in cars to reach patients. (Paramedics are not permitted to participate in known situations which could reasonably cause serious harm or incapacitate themselves or others.)
- Ensure that all vehicles and equipment are maintained in a clean and sanitary condition. Ensure the deep cleaning of vehicles is carried out effectively, documented and filed. Responsible for the cleaning and disinfection of the ambulance after each call as well as the removal, examination, cleaning and disinfection of the ambulance after each call as well as the removal, examination, cleaning and restocking of supplies and equipment with the required patient care and accessory equipment.
- Ensure that vehicles and equipment will be maintained in required working order. Perform all required daily preventative maintenance which includes preparing the vehicle and equipment after each call by restocking the equipment, inspecting the vehicle for road worthiness by completing the vehicle check sheet and reporting defects or maintenance required, documenting and submitting purchases for items such as fuel and oil, completing the supply and equipment inventory, and restocking. Ensure that tachograph charts are changed, documented and filed.
- Submit completed requisitions for the acquisition of supplies to the Chief for approval and follow-up.
- Participate in all Mandatory training programs as required by the Oneida Paramedic Services, SWORBHP and/or the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care.
- The paramedic shall assess the patient and make a decision on the level of care required and the paramedic level to be responsible for the patient. The highest level of paramedic is the ultimate authority on the scene. If there is any disagreement between the paramedics, the Base Hospital physician can be contacted. It is expected that when a level of intervention has been performed that level of provider will remain with the patient.
- Train, precept and/or educate paramedic students from an accredited institution.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
The above description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions and duties as required for proper evaluation of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Operations Superintendent, Scott Wilkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Ongoing/Open Until Filled
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.